星期五, 8月 27, 2004

Yeah ... just like that

I dunno if it was the rain or the music I was listening to (or both), but sometime the other day I was forcing myself to come up with a new storyline for my shortfilm, dangerously within 4 days of the deadline for submission of requirements. Although I was already at peace with the 1st storyline, its simplicity and sensuality, I felt it was the kind of story made for feature films, not for short films. I realized this during my discussions with my good friend Mister Formiko who lent me his David Lynch vcd. The latter is a very talented avante-garde director when it comes to short films. I was able to watch Grandmother, 6 People Getting Sick 6 Times, and Alphabet, among others. Somewhat frightening considering I watched them at 2:30 in the morning while hearing the intense rain pour out in the background. I especially liked Alphabet though. Reminds me of Nightmare on Elm Street where the children were playing jump rope and singing the "1-2 tie my shoe" song. Creepy.

Anyway, I had to break a promise I made to myself earlier about the film, that I wasn't gonna end it with *bleep* because the new storyline I formulated makes the pieces fit better. You can say it's inspired by David Lynch, but not really. I walked around the sala in circles while sipping brewed coffee, like, every 5 minutes, trying to come up with a new premise to work with. In the background I kept playing Virgin Suicides OST by Air, Tango Apasionado by Astor Piazzola from the movie Happy Together by Wong Kar-Wai, Yumenji's Theme from the movie In The Mood For Love also by Wong Kar-Wai, American Beauty OST by Thomas Newman, Bjork's Selma Songs from the movie Dancer In The Dark, and in my head, I was playing the sensual violin waltz from an unknown composer for Sex and the City's season 2 episode La Doleur Exquise! (The Exquisite Pain!), the final scene where Carrie realizes her relationship with Mr. Big is over and she's peering out the window, post-coital, in sexy black satin lingerie. The violin arrangement was superb.

Then, like the opening sentence from a Tagalog poem, I started to write the first faint line, faint, without substance, pure nonsense, pure wisdom of someone who knows nothing (borrowed from Neruda's "Poetry" hehehehe) From there the new storyline practically wrote itself out from the sound of rain, the bitter cup of coffee, Air's "Dirty Trip" song, and Thomas Newman's "Angela Undress."


The story still needs reworking but I hope it'll hold up better Ü


4 days! 4 freakin days!!!




1 Comments:

At 2004年8月28日 上午8:40:00 [GMT+8], Blogger {illyria} said...

ohmigod, roland. i'm so excited to see the finished product. won't wish you luck, since i don't believe in it, but i will wish you love. hehehehe. =)

 

發佈留言

<< Home