星期三, 2月 11, 2004

 Carpathía 

The question on everybody's minds: What is Escape To Carpathia? This is actually a movie that features two consenting adults, an American tourist and a Romanian princess in the city of Carpathia (or so I assume). The princess is in full bloom of her individuality forcibly repressed by an evil and controlling governess. With the aid of her handmaiden, they exchange clothes and the princess escapes the castle without anyone noticing. She walks thru the farmlands in search of herself and is drawn to the city where she meets up with a young American photographer. In the end, they fall in love. It's a painfully typical love story.

The corollary question: Why use it as the title then?

The answer is simple. Carpathia, for me, represents the city of opportunities, culture, new ideas, new people, new life. I feel that even at a ripe age, I still haven't found what I'm looking for. My bestfriend was correct in saying that the decisions I've been making in life are rather complicated. Like everything for me is transitive, a confounding syllogism. In order for me to get to A, I must go through B first, but B cannot go alone so C has to be included to get to A; If mice are men and men are ruts, then mice are ruts. It should all be pretty logical for most, but everything would require a very long explanation.

A person once said, "The simplest explanation is usually the most correct." Well, for me that doesn't quite happen. I am the exception to this rule where the complicated explanation is usually the truth. I'm not fond of lying. I may be the King of Denial but I don't affirm or rebuke allegations made in my name. I'm too honest for my own good.

Now what have all these got to do with Carpathia? Everything. The search for opportunities and the quintessential Coehlo definition of the "personal legend" remains elusive. I get caught up in the syllogisms of society which forms this bureaucratic web of causes, effects, and repetitive behaviors. Carpathia is my Jerusalem, my promised land. And I would need a plan of escape to get there before I reach 30.



0 Comments:

發佈留言

<< Home